You Did it! You made a dream...
Time to Deliver
One million meals is not enough.
In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic necessitated the addition of over 2,450 new home delivery clients. More than 2,000 seniors and at-risk adults go without a nutritious meal every day in our service area. The Babcock/410 facility does not have the storage space, equipment, kitchen and prep space, volunteer training areas, or loading and delivery docks to adequately serve our current clients or add those from our growing waiting list. In the Babcock/410 facility we struggle to:
- Create space for safe preparation of a large number of meals
- Store non-perishable food
- Buy in bulk for cost efficiency
- Repair aging equipment
- Safely load and unload food distribution and delivery vehicles
- Provide a safe space for staff trainings and education for our volunteers
Every day, 12,000 Americans turn 60, and the senior population is projected to almost double between 2013 and 2040.
We purchased 6.1 acres of property off Nacogdoches Road, just three blocks outside of Loop 410. We worked with Project Control, LPA Design Studios, and Joeris to develop this property into a new campus with a 44,000 square foot building.
The new facility has an optimized production kitchen with plenty of both cold and dry storage; an efficient food preparation space; a dedicated volunteer training and waiting area; a safe, easy-to-navigate loading dock; and an expanded Grace Place Center.
This new space will greatly improve the efficiency of our preparation system by enabling us to:
- More than double the meals we serve and allow us to expand delivery territory
- Enhance the quality and variations of the meals provided, including increasing the ability to provide medically-tailored diets and additional nutritional supports
- Decrease costs through increase of storage space for cold and dry foods
- Increase the number of volunteers and improve the experience through a dynamic education and training center
- Provide more capacity for Grace Place clients in an environment designed specifically for their needs
- House all administration on-site, reducing costs and promoting efficiencies
Impact over last year
MEALS ON WHEELS
meals delivered annually
adults served in Bexar County
volunteer hours donated
GRACE PLACE ALZHEIMER'S ACTIVITY CENTERS
seniors and caregivers served annually
hours of care provided annually
volunteers paired with clients
pounds of pet food delivered annually