Time to Deliver

Capital Campaign

See our groundbreaking here!

The Need

One million meals is not enough.

In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic necessitated the addition of over 2,450 new home delivery clients. More than 2,000 seniors and at-risk adults go without a nutritious meal every day in our service area. Our current facility does not have the storage space, equipment, kitchen and prep space, volunteer training areas, or loading and delivery docks to adequately serve our current clients or add those from our growing waiting list. In our current facility we struggle to:

  • Create space for safe preparation of a large number of meals
  • Store non-perishable food
  • Buy in bulk for cost efficiency
  • Repair aging equipment
  • Safely load and unload food distribution and delivery vehicles 
  • Provide a safe space for staff trainings and education for our volunteers

Every day, 12,000 Americans turn 60, and the senior population is projected to almost double between 2013 and 2040.

You can help make this new home a reality!

The Plan

We have purchased 6.1 acres of property off Nacogdoches Road, just three blocks outside of Loop 410. We are working with Project Control, LPA Design Studios, and Joeris to develop this property into a new campus with a 44,000 square foot building.

The new facility will have an optimized production kitchen with plenty of both cold and dry storage; an efficient food preparation space; a dedicated volunteer training and waiting area; a safe, easy-to-navigate loading dock; and an expanded Grace Place Center.
 

The total project cost is $18.9M. The planned sale of our current properties and new market tax credits left us with $12M to raise. To date, we have raised $8.5M, so we are 70% to goal. We are inviting the public to help us raise the remaining 30% percent at $3.5M.

Impact

This new space will greatly improve the efficiency of our preparation system by enabling us to:

  • More than double the meals we serve and allow us to expand delivery territory
  • Enhance the quality and variations of the meals provided, including increasing the ability to provide medically-tailored diets and additional nutritional supports
  • Decrease costs through increase of storage space for cold and dry foods 
  • Increase the number of volunteers and improve the experience through a dynamic education and training center
  • Provide more capacity for Grace Place clients in an environment designed specifically for their needs
  • House all administration on-site, reducing costs and promoting efficiencies

Impact over last year

MEALS ON WHEELS

1,200,000+
meals delivered annually

6,310
adults served in Bexar County

45,563
volunteer hours donated

GRACE PLACE ALZHEIMER'S ACTIVITY CENTERS

555
seniors and caregivers served annually

110,000
hours of care provided annually

FRIENDLY VISITOR

236
volunteers paired with clients

ANIMEALS

562
pets served

35,145
pounds of pet food delivered annually