Here are the organizations Valero is supporting during the coronavirus pandemic
By Jessica Corso
Among them is the San Antonio Blood and Tissue Center, which will receive $100,000 from Valero to help purchase equipment like beds and machinery to be set up at the central collection points SABTC is currently operating.
Blood banks across the country have seen supply dry up as drives are cancelled and donors fear coming in contact with anyone infected with coronavirus. The central location points — this week SABTC is collecting blood at the San Antonio Shrine Auditorium — are bigger spaces that allow for proper social distancing but equipment is not easily transportable from its usual location in SABTC blood mobiles, Valero said.
SABTC CEO Elizabeth Waltman said earlier this month that donations are urgently needed to prevent a collapse in the city's blood supply. To encourage donors to leave the house, in addition to cash to provide equipment Valero is also donating $25,000 in $10 gas cards for the SABTC to hand out to those who donate.
“The health and the safety of our employees, our families, and our communities are critically important,” Valero CEO Joe Gorder said in a statement. “We are blessed to be able to continue supporting our community partners as we all work together to overcome this extraordinary situation.”
Here are the other local organizations Valero is supporting with its donations:
- Meals on Wheels San Antonio: $150,000 for meals; $50,000 in gas cards to help pay for the delivery of meals
- University Health System Foundation: One thousand $25 gas cards for families whose loved ones are receiving treatment at UHS, especially those who live outside of Bexar County.
- Family Service Association: $30,000 in cash and $20,000 in gift cards; FSA provides basic necessities, job training and educational support for underserved families.
- Family Violence Prevention Services: Donation amount not provided; FVPS runs an emergency shelter and provides legal services and counseling to women and children experiencing domestic violence
- Respite Care of San Antonio: Donation amount not provided; Respite Care provides support to children with special needs and their families
- ChildSafe: Donation amount not provided; ChildSafe provides legal support, mental health counseling and other services to child victims of abuse
- Haven for Hope: Donation amount not provided; Haven for Hope runs a homeless shelter and provides other services to the homeless community